Tuesday, May 9, 2017

CNK: Tricks to get students’ attention in fun and powerless way




“Tricks to get students’ attention in fun and powerless way”

Hi Everyone! I am very excited to know how you teach your students today. I hope everything goes well in your class.

Well, today I want to share about the trick to get your students’ attention in a fun and effective way. Most of teachers probably already experienced how difficult to get students’ attention or how to ask the students listen to your instruction. Sometimes, the students are just too busy with their own thought or their stuffs such as hand phone, books, or.. their friends. 

Teachers sometimes need to shout or call the students’ name one by one to get their eyes on you. Well, let’s do some other fun ways to get the students’ attention. In this case, teachers need to know the “fun” way to get their attention in simple and powerless way. 

There are several ways to get the students’ attention such as clap and shout/call (in fun way). Here are several ways that teachers can do in their class. 

  • Call
Call here means you call your students. In my practice teaching, I used this to get their attention. I used “Class” to refer all of the students. You can make your own word or name to refer to your students. 

When they hear me, they need to answer me as the keyword of the day. I usually change the keyword each day/meeting. For example, for the first time, I may ask them to clap, or just say “yes, Miss”. In the next day, I may write the keyword as “A-Yee”, “A-Ha!”, “Whazzupp” or “Dude”. Additionally, if you can find the right words, you can also use it as ice breaker. 

For example, when I use “Dude” as key word, it may sound as the word “Dut” in “Dangdut”. I will call “Class” for the first time, and then play it for several times.
E.G
Cla~~ss? Dude
Class Class? Dude Dude
Class Class Class??? Dude Dude Dude. 

*You can also play it with the tone. Don't forget to inform the students to follow your tone as well.
Teachers, when your students cannot hear you for the first time, sometimes you need to call them twice or three times.

If you are difficult in finding the keywords, you can ask the students to make it for you. Of course, it may need several minutes to deal with. But, it may help sometimes. The keywords that I got from my experience were “Panazz Bozz”, “Ay Ay Captain” or “Oleng Kapten”. 

It will be better if you can find keywords that connect to the material of yours. For example, you can use “Wonderful Indonesia” to connect to the subject dealing with tourism places or describing places or “Yes, Chef” to connect it to procedure text about cooking. (Used in Microteaching class of Camp Epic 3)

Also, you can also call them by saying “Eyes on me!” and your students will answer “Eyes on you”.
You can have your own creative way to get their attention by modifying this trick.

  • CLAP
Clap. Yupz, it is one of trick that many teachers already done. Maybe you also already know this. But, I will keep tell more about this. I got this from campers in Camp EPIC 3.

Clapping, you can ask your students to clap several times based on your instruction to get their attention. 

Way #1;
Teachers’ instruction;
Clap 1
Clap 2
Students will follow the instruction while the teacher repeat it several times till he/she thinks it’s already silent.

Way #2;
The teachers’ instruction;
Give me one! *Students will clap once
Give me two! *Students will clap twice
Give me three! *Students will say “SSsstttt!!!”
For the last instruction, the students themselves who ask their friends to keep silent. So, it help a lot.

Way #3;
The teachers’ instruction;
Clap 1 if you can hear me.
Clap 2 if you can hear me.
Clap 3 if you can hear me.
Clap 4 if you can hear me.

Yupz, students will follow what the instruction is. What you need to do is that you need to say it near to the students so they can here you. You don’t need to shout because the sound of clapping will help other students to follow.
You can stop give instruction if you think you already got the students’ attention.

Well, those are some tricks that you can use for your classroom. You can choose one of them or maybe collaborate call and clap in the same time. It is all up to the teacher. Be fun and creative for the students. 



Wohoo~~~.. the last one, keep doing your work passionately. Don't forget to stay healthy and be grateful. Sangkyu :D 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post It

Teachers not only teach, but help and inspire as well.

Keep reading this Teacher's Path while finding your own Path in teaching.